Get a 4 Point and Wind Mitigation Inspection Later
Can you get the 4 point and wind mitigation inspection later after you have purchased the home? The answer is yes, you can request these inspections at any time but sometimes delaying can cause more of an issue than just having them performed at the time of purchase. There are times where delaying may be the best decision for your situation, so you have to decide based on your deal and needs.
One of our inspectors performed a home inspection in the Pembroke Pines, Fl area and the client wanted to get the 4 point and wind mitigation inspection later if needed. We supported the request and performed only a home inspection at the time and not the wind mitigation and 4 point inspection. While on-site we collected the information just in case we were asked for the documents later that evening after the inspection.
The client reached out to obtain the 4 point and wind mitigation form 3 weeks later. Unfortunately, since so much time has passed the previous inspection is not valid and now the client will have to schedule another inspection to get these forms completed. An inspection is only good on the day of the inspection and the 4 point form is typically not accepted if it is more than 10 days old. The wind mitigation form is good for 5 years.
Reasons why you may want to get a 4 point and wind mitigation inspection later:
- You don’t plan to insure the property through an insurance policy
- You are planning to do major renovation before occupancy and will insure later
- The homeowner’s associations provide coverage and you don’t have to seek your own
- Your insurance company notifies you that they don’t need the forms to qualify your property for insurance
Reasons why you don’t want to wait to get a 4 point and wind mitigation inspection later:
- Loss of credits or discounts for your wind mitigation products installed on the home
- Delayed insurance coverage because there were items that may have been unsatisfactory on the 4 point inspection form
- Loss opportunity to negotiate items that were found to be unsatisfactory on the 4 point inspection form
- Increase cost for repairs needed in an expedited time period to obtain insurance coverage
- Higher insurance premium because of the unknown lack of eligible wind mitigation protection documentation
Back to the original question of whether you can get a 4 point and wind mitigation inspection after your home inspection is completed; yes you can. As mentioned before each deal and situation is different and ultimately it is your decision. We will always encourage you to request all 3 inspections at the time of scheduling to reduce any possible churn and save time/money.
If you have additional questions and want to get in contact with GGR Home Inspections please send us a note, text, or call.