How to Become a Home Inspector in Florida 2022
If you have landed here then you may be interested in becoming a home inspector in Florida. This article focuses on Florida but there isn’t much of a difference between many states. Florida is one of the 26 states that require a home inspector to be licensed by the state. The Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) requires individuals to complete 120 hours of state-approved training, pass a state exam, and submit an application to the state. InterNACHI has a state-approved pre-licensing course and state exam available.
My Story: How to Become A Home Inspector in Florida
It was March 2020 when I officially decided to become a licensed home inspector in the state of Florida and open my own home inspection company. At the time I was an Operations Manager in one of the largest companies in the world managing a few hundred team members and millions of dollars in assets. I enjoyed the day-to-day grind of warehouse operations but it was taking a toll on me and my family. I received a disturbing call from the police about my youngest son(16 at the time) that change all our lives moving forward. The next two years were tough because at that moment I walked out of my well-paid job to take care of my family.
I took a leave of absence for 30 days and ultimately decided not to return. During that time the pandemic also kicked off in March. Of course, no one knew it would turn into what it did so I definitely took one of the biggest risks of my life when I decided not to return. I would not advise anyone to make the move into entrepreneurship the way I need but today I’m happy I made the move. I’m thankful we were able to succeed in a challenging time.
What has changed since becoming a home inspector?
- With more time with my family, I have a deeper relationship with all my children and my wife
- Time with self, family, and friends. My wife gave birth to our new baby girl on 11/9/2021 and I haven’t missed a thing because I have control of my time
- Peace of mind from a sense that you get to focus on yourself and what you need. There is always some level of stress in our lives. Remember, you eat what you take down as an entrepreneur. If you don’t hunt, you don’t eat. So ensure that’s the world you really want.
- Great income with fewer hours to achieve it. A $50K job salary can be replaced with 100 inspections as an example. An inspection takes on average 3-4 and you need 10 a month for 10 months. That’s only 40 hours of inspecting a month where most work 4-5 times that amount of hours and are unhappy.
I just wanted to share a little of my story really quickly. Leave me a comment or send me an email if you have additional questions. Back to steps on how to become a home inspector in Florida.
Steps: How to Become A Home Inspector in Florida
Depending on which exam you decide to take you may have to adjust the steps but these are the steps I took.
- Signed up for Internachi’s membership
- Completed the 120 hours Online Internachi Course
- Completed a proctored exam by a qualified instructor
- Applied for E&O Insurance and General Liability
- Applied for License with DBPR
Becoming a home inspector for me was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I decided not to work for another company and open GGR Home Inspections If you are interested in learning how I started and grew GGR Home Inspections to gross over six figures in the first full year then check out my course. Click Here: Business Start-Up 1010, How to Start a Home Inspection Business